Have you looked at using Infiniband fabric? You can get 4X higher throughput than 10GbE.

Regards,
-C

-----Original Message-----
From: zGreenfelder
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2012 7:57 AM
To: user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: One petabyte of data loading into HDFS with in 10 min.
On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Cosmin Lehene wrote:
Here's an extremely naïve ballpark estimation: at theoretical hardware
speed, for 3PB representing 1PB with 3x replication

Over a single 1Gbps connection (and I'm not sure, you can actually
reach
1Gbps)
(3 petabytes) / (1 Gbps) = 291.271111 days

So you'd need at least 40,000 1Gbps network cards to get that in 10
minutes
:) - (3PB/1Gbps)/40000

The actual number of nodes would depend a lot on the actual network
architecture, the type of storage you use (SSD, HDD), etc.

Cosmin
ah, I went te other direction with the math, and assumed no replication (completely unsafe and never reasonable for a real, production environment, but since we're all theory and just looking for starting point numbers)

1PB in 10 min ==
1,000,000gB in 10 min ==
8,000,000gb in 600 seconds ==

80,000/6 ~= 14k machines running at gigabit or about 1.5k machines if you get 10Gb connected machines.

all assuming there's no network or cluster sync overhead (of course there would be)

that seems like some pretty deep pockets to get to < 10 minute load time for that much data.

I could also be off, I just threw some stuff together somewhat quickly.between conf calls.

--
Even the Magic 8 ball has an opinion on email clients: Outlook not so good.