That's what we've been doing. Again, the problem is, we still have to pull the datanode out of rotation and change config, replace disk, put it back... even if I have spares on hand and finish this in a few minutes, I still have one empty disk and many tens of not-empty disks. Monitoring and identifying the failure isn't the problem, we have that down pat. I'm hoping for a better way to re-balance the disks in the node after a failure. I suspect the sad answer is that what I'm doing now is the best thing for it.

-j