Try hadoop fs -ls /

you're logged in as root, so it's trying to ls /user/root on HDFS
which probably doesn't exist.

-Todd

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 7:58 AM, Hiller, Dean (Contractor)
wrote:
./hadoop dfs –ls hdfs://     works

But when I just do ls, it is not working….

[root@hadoop4 bin]# ./hadoop dfs -ls

configDir=/mnt/hadoop_files/hadoop_config

classpath=/opt/hbase-install/hbase/hbase-0.20.6.jar:/opt/hbase-install/hbase/hba

se-0.20.6-test.jar:/mnt/hadoop_config/hbase_config:/opt/hbase-install/hbase/lib/

zookeeper-3.2.2.jar

ls: Cannot access .: No such file or directory.

Unfortunately, I had to reconfigure all of my hadoop for DNS so I must have
something wrong.

My core-site.xml file is now

<configuration>

<property>

<name>fs.default.name</name>

<value>hdfs://hadoop1:54310</value>

</property>

<property>

<name>hadoop.tmp.dir</name>

<value>/hdfs/data/hadooptmp</value>

</property>

</configuration>

While my hdfs-site.xml is

<configuration>

<property>

<name>dfs.data.dir</name>

<value>/hdfs/data/hadoop</value>

</property>

<property>

<name>dfs.replication</name>

<value>1</value>

</property>

</configuration>

My masters is

hadoop1

My slaves file is

hadoop1

hadoop2

Is there something wrong in my config?  I am having other issues that I
thought may be caused by this.

Thanks,

Dean

addressee and
may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader
of the
communication in
attachments from your system.

--