The submitted job file (job.xml) contains the 'right'
<mapred.map.tasks> amount set into it (Use JobContext.NUM_MAPS instead
in new API, I guess). If you can read that file back into a
configuration object (I believe RunningJob lets you get hold of the
submitted job file), you can get hold of what you seek, including # of
Reducers (<mapred.reduce.tasks>).