That generally means that the process that is running the task, crashed.
The actual map/reduce task is run in a separate jvm by the task tracker, and
that JVM is exiting abnormally.
This used to happen to my jobs quite a bit when they were using a buggy
native library via jni.

If you are trying to use the colorspace transforms via the java imaging
APIs, it is not thread safe (at least through 1.6.10 under linux).

There may be additional information available in the per task logs.