It's unclear exactly what the problem is, so you should try and follow the
getting started guide more closely:

<
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Running_Hadoop_On_Ubuntu_Linux_(Single-Node_Cluster)

You should get a single-node cluster working before you try and get a
multi-node cluster.

Good luck!

Alex
On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 2:21 AM, C J wrote:

Hallo everyone,
I have installed the hadoop 0.18.3 on three linux machines, I am trying to
run the
example of WordCountv1.0 on a cluster. But I guess I have a problem
somewhere.
*
Problem*

*After formating the name node:*
I am getting several STARTUP_MSG and at the end a "SHUTDOWN_MSG: shutting
down the namenode..."
is this normal?

*Afterwards I try starting the dfs:**
*I get a message "starting namenode..."* *afterwards I get another message
"starting secondary namenode"
at this stage the shell is blocked unless I press the enter key. Then the
system tries to start another secondary
namenode and the shell is then not blocked. What is going on?
*
Then I proceed an try starting the mapred:*
I get the two messages "starting jobtracker....." and "starting
tasktracker"

*Following the tutorial for runnin WordCode v1.0, If I try to list the
files
in the input folder I have created
*I get the famous error "Retrying connect to server:134.130.222.20:9000"
.what am I doing something wrong?

*Steps I have already verified*

*I have already checked the iptables of the three machines and they look**:
**
*Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destiantion

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)