I've just installed a new test cluster and I'm trying to give it a quick
smoke test with RandomWriter and Sort.

I can run these fine with the superuser account. When I try to run them
as another user I run into problems even though I've created the output
directory and given permissions to the other user to write to this
directory. i.e.

1. smulcahy@hadoop01:~$ hadoop fs -mkdir /foo
mkdir: org.apache.hadoop.fs.permission.AccessControlException:
Permission denied: user=smulcahy, access=WRITE,
inode="":hadoop:supergroup:rwxr-xr-x

OK - we don't have permissions anyways

2. hadoop@hadoop01:/$ hadoop fs -mkdir /foo

OK

3. hadoop fs -chown -R smulcahy /foo

OK

4. smulcahy@hadoop01:~$ hadoop fs -mkdir /foo/test

OK

5. smulcahy@hadoop01:~$ hadoop jar /usr/lib/hadoop/hadoop-*-examples.jar
randomwriter /foo
java.io.IOException: Permission denied
at java.io.UnixFileSystem.createFileExclusively(Native Method)
at java.io.File.checkAndCreate(File.java:1704)
at java.io.File.createTempFile(File.java:1793)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobShell.run(JobShell.java:54)
at org.apache.hadoop.util.ToolRunner.run(ToolRunner.java:79)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobShell.main(JobShell.java:68)

Any suggestions on why step 5. is failing even though I have write
permissions to /foo - do I need permissions on some other directory also
or ... ?

Thanks,

-stephen

--
Stephen Mulcahy, DI2, Digital Enterprise Research Institute,
NUI Galway, IDA Business Park, Lower Dangan, Galway, Ireland

groupcommon-user @
categorieshadoop
postedJun 26, '09 at 11:40a
activeJun 30, '09 at 11:20a