When you refer to "filesystem," do you mean HDFS?

It's very common to store lots of text files in HDFS and run multiple jobs
to process / learn about those text files. As for XML support, you can use
Java libraries (or Python libraries if you're using Hadoop streaming) to
parse the XML; Hadoop itself doesn't have much XML support. I hope this
answers your question.

Alex