I have the following as my type of my "value" object. Do I need to implement
readfields and write functions?

private static class StringArrayWritable extends ArrayWritable {
private StringArrayWritable (String [] aSString) {
super (aSString);

Aaron Kimball-3 wrote:
If you can use an existing serializeable type to hold that field (e.g., if
it's an integer, then use IntWritable) then you can just get away with
that.
If you are specifying your own class for a key or value class, then yes,
the
class must implement readFields() and write().

There's no concept of introspection or other "magic" to determine how to
serialize types by decomposing them into more primitive types - you must
manually insert the logic for this in every class you use.

- Aaron