When reading from or writing to a file on HDFS, datablocks never go thru the
namenode. They are directly handled/transferred between your client and the
datanodes that contain the blocks.

Hence, datanodes must be accessible by your client. In this case since your
client is on an external network, your datanodes must be accessible to
external networks.