I actually had a bug in my config, what you suggested works fine.
I was able to start pig very easily using java -jar pig.jar -H namenode etc.
thanks for your help

Bhupesh

Shane Butler wrote:
What I mean is type "java -jar pig.jar -H namenode" to start the
namenode and then follow the other instructions in the readme to start
the other Hadoop services...
Shane