I tried what you suggested, It complained the same mismatch client versions
thing again, I was
finally able to resolve issue by going back to hadoop-0.12.1. from svn tag
release-0.12.1 will not compile out of box due to some missing dependencies
on org.apache.hadoop.metrics.jvm.EventCounter class. This class can be
obtained from later hadoop releases though.

Shane Butler wrote:
What I mean is type "java -jar pig.jar -H namenode" to start the
namenode and then follow the other instructions in the readme to start
the other Hadoop services...
Shane