Since I was doing terms instead of just words, it was slightly more
complicated then just calling sort.
A simple solution might have been to reverse the order in which the
hadoop job outputs results, i.e.

value key instead of key value

But instead, I used the following set of commands to process the file
and sort it appropriately:

cat * | tr '\t' ' ' | sed 's/^\(.*\) \([0-9]*\)$/\2 \1/' | sort -n >
sorted.txt

Which basically takes the number at the end of each line, and puts it
at the beginning, then calls sort.
Works like a charm. Thanks for the help.