It sounds like the problem is whatever happens when you click the element
which closes the popup window. I'm guessing clicking the element transfers
the value on the popup back to default content. If could be the way the
developer is saving and transferring the information from the popup back to
the default content is the problem.

If it is a timing issue, you could try putting in some Thread.sleep(5000)
in various places. If this solves the problem you know it is a timing
issue. You'll have to remove the various sleep statements until you figure
out which one solved the problem. Once you know where you need to wait,
change the sleep statement to wait for the appropriate event.

If it is something which the developer is doing which is illegal but works
for humans, see if you can figure that out (use tools to examine the page
for compliance, e.g. Tidy to examine HTML). Maybe doing the right thing
will help WebDriver to work.

Could be you found an edge case where WebDriver fails. You'll have to find
a workaround which will continue to work even if they fix the defect.

Finally, you could be dealing with more than one issue and might be looking
for multiple solutions (lot harder to deal with).

Darrell