That's all dependent on how tight your code is and how fast your source of
data is, network conditions, etc.

Generally for 20k qps I'd expect your spout would have a parallelism
greater than 1 reading from multiple brokers. A single spout is
horizontally scalable under storm (in most cases).

Without more information about your expected use case, "queries", hardware,
etc. nobody can tell you how Storm will perform for you.

--
Michael Rose (@Xorlev)
Senior Platform Engineer, FullContact