Thomas, I've been working on this problem outside of Spree for a few years,
and working on it inside of Spree for a few months. The short answer is
there are no gems out there currently that will do what you're asking for.
You need to roll your own, as appropriate to your custom site. Ping me
directly and I can talk you through some of the ideas.

-Marc