FWIW, I created a Rails4 / Spree 2.1.x app last night. It's working fine.
https://github.com/think602/demo_spree_wizard.

I had a similar issue too when I upgraded a different Spree 2-0-stable //
Rails 3.2.14 app to Spree 2.1.x. The multi_json gem was having issues
parsing the Cache Control setting, IE,
https://github.com/spree/spree/blob/master/core/app/models/spree/app_configuration.rb#L81.
I fixed the issu by starting with a brand new Rails 4 app. This was not an
issue since all the store's functionality was done via extensions.