I came across this thread while trying to configure Zoho for Spree myself
and as no definitive answer was left, I thought I'd add for posterity. For
some reason it worked for me by adding both the normal ActionMailer
configuration as the SO thread describes and also using Spree
configurations.

Such that in my environment/production.rb, I have:
config.action_mailer.delivery_method = :smtp
config.action_mailer.smtp_settings = {
  :address => "smtp.zoho.com",
  :port => 465,
  :user_name => 'user@example.com',
  :password => 'MyPassword',
  :authentication => :login,
  :tls => true,
  :ssl => true,
  :enable_starttls_auto => true
}

And in intializers\spree.rb:
config.mails_from = "user@example.com"
config.mail_domain = "mail.zoho.com"
config.mail_host = "mail.zoho.com"
config.mail_port = 465
config.secure_connection_type = "TLS"
config.mail_auth_type = "Login"
config.smtp_username = "user@example.com"
config.smtp_password = "MyPassword"
config.enable_mail_delivery = true

Although I could spend time working out exactly why this works, I think I'm
just going to take Gregor MacDougall's advice and set up Mandrill instead.
Hope this might be helpful to anyone in the future.