The basic steps are:

    1. Create the migration in your extension
    2. Install an updated version of your extension in your application
    3. run rake railties:install:migratiions from your application to copy
    the migration from your extension to your application
    4. run rake db:migrate from your application

That should create the table you require.

Any time you want to add rows to your table you should do so from your
application.

--
Gregor MacDougall
Sr. Software Developer @ FreeRunning Technologies