FWIW ...

Spree assumes you'll configure email settings via the Spree Admin UI, and
uses said settings to override the mail settings in these files,

my_spree_app/config/environments/development.rb
my_spree_app/config/environments/test.rb
my_spree_app/config/environments/production.rb

More info on Spree Mail settings here,
http://guides.spreecommerce.com/developer/deployment_tips.html#configuring-email-options
.

--