right after:

Now we need to extend Spree::HomeController and add an action that selects
“on sale” products.

it says:

Make sure you are in the spree_simple_sales root directory and run the
following command to create the directory structure for our controller
decorator:

So you need to be in the root of the extension that you created. then make
the dir:

mkdir -p app/controllers/spree

And continue on. It is pretty unclear when you are supposed to be in the
mystore vs the extension dir after that point (I just went through them
over he weekend).
Keep an eye out for the keywords like "fix the extension" or "decorator".
  Those mean you are in the extension dir. I don't recall going back to
"mystore" until we are trying to integrate it.