It's a bit more nuanced than that. Jim can weigh in, but automated
proxy config currently isn't supported in IE Driver at all. It works
in RemoteWebDriver, but that's done by the server process, which
already has hudsuckr at that point. I'm currently looking at a way of
setting up the proxy through WinInet and that would obviate the need
for this particular registry hack. But RC still uses hudsuckr to
tweak a bunch of other settings and thus would need to stick around
(or be rewritten with JNA as Simon mentioned).

--
Kevin