I'll check that out. If it fits there, then it should be there. I'm not
fond of spawning new projs/repos :-)
On Monday, November 2, 2015 at 8:13:34 PM UTC+1, Seth House wrote:

Very clever!

This idea is very similar to the serializers idea that has been kicked
around in the formulas community. We added a new module type called
serializers to Salt a little while back. The idea being: modules that
would take a data structure and serialize it to a specific format. A
high-level example is an "apache config serializer" could take a
dictionary (probably from Pillar but not necessarily) and write it to
disk as a valid Apache configuration file. Smaller, more focused,
"utils-style" serializers, such as the two you propose, would also be
a great addition.

https://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/ref/serializers/all/

https://github.com/saltstack/salt/tree/develop/salt/serializers

Since they're a module type, they can ship with Salt-core or they can
ship along with formulas themselves. The standard way of distributing
custom modules works as normal:

/srv/salt/_serializers

Which means existing formulas can take advantage of them by putting a
`_serializers` directory in the root repository directory. This is
best done for serializer modules that aren't likely to be re-used in
multiple formulas.

If you're interested in contributing modules that perform the actions
you described below, I'd love to merge them into Salt-core.

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 8:38 AM, Kees Bos <cornel...@gmail.com