Well, FWIW, I am using the runner via the Python API because things like
the jobs runner don't have a wheel equivalent.

wt
On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 4:32 PM, Seth House wrote:

Warren, sorry for the slow reply.

Wheel modules are intended to be called programmatically from Salt's
Python API or Salt's REST API and do not have a direct CLI equivalent. (I
suspect the CLI examples in the docs were added to prevent a test from
failing that verifies all modules have an example. They should probably be
updated/changed.) Wheel modules are used to manage the Salt Master.

You are right to wonder as there is a fair bit of conceptual overlap
between wheel modules and runner modules and they even share a good bit of
backend code. Runner modules have historically not been ideal for
programmatic use; wheel modules were added specifically for programmatic
use. In the next Salt feature release runner modules are getting a bit
update to make them more flexible. There was a brief discussion about
deprecating wheel modules in favor of runner modules although that is not
on our immediate roadmap it may happen at some point.