It's just read into a python dictionary which is unordered. I believe the
default outputter sorts the top level keys for display. The order of the
keys in the config file is irrelevant, though, unless you inadvertently
redefine a key further down in your config.

The error you're receiving is due to the absence of a top.sls file in your
environment base directory.

Do a google search for salstack state top and you'll find the information
you seek.

-S