Joe,

Can you explain why the ubuntu release might matter? Any ideas how I could
remedy this issue?

Thanks,
Justin
On Thursday, October 23, 2014 7:35:31 PM UTC-7, Joe Healy wrote:

Hi Justin,

I'm guessing Ubuntu, but which release?

Cheers,

Joe

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 10:54 AM, Justin Vincent <justin...@gmail.com
<javascript:>> wrote:
Hey All,

I want to use salt to to manage my salt-minion config so I made this
simple salt state...

salt-minion:
service:
- running
- enable: true
- watch:
- file: /etc/salt/minion

/etc/salt/minion:
file:
- source: salt://salt-minion/minion.conf

After running state.highstate I noticed that there are now two versions
of salt-minion running on my minions...!

4031 ? S 0:00 /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/salt-minion -d
4032 ? S 0:00 /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/salt-minion
11180 ? Ssl 0:21 /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/salt-minion
32299 ? Sl 0:29 /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/salt-minion -d

After a little digging I see I now hove both an upstart script and a
init.d script on my minions...

/etc/init.d/salt-minio
/etc/init/salt-minion.conf

So now when I do test.ping each server returns twice...!
salt 'stage*' test.ping
test-minion-1:
True
test-minion-1:
True

I installed my minions using salt-cloud and/or salt-bootstrap. I guess
during the installation process it adds the init.d script and runs it...
and then the salt-minion state adds the upstart version.

Q1) How can I configure a state so that it removes the init.d version and
runs the upstart version only
Q2) Since initially it will be running the init.d version on the first
state.highstate is that even possible (ie would the init.d version get
killed and then everything would break)
Q3) Is there something that I am not thinking about, and another way that
I should be approaching this?

Thanks,
Justin :)