I'm trying to refactor an existing salt environment, and I find myself
somewhat conflicted about the best way to proceed.

The environment's been largely unmaintained for a couple of years, so
bringing it in line with current best practices is my primary goal; right
now it's roughly 400 nodes across the board, but it's expected to scale
soon.

Right now a script pulls node assignments from an external database as a
external_top. The database then obliges the request by falling over under
load, so I'd like very much to remove it from the equation.

Today, the tree looks something like:

/srv/salt
├── base
├── dev
├── intg
└── prod

Inside of each environment, we see:
/srv/salt/intg/
├── config
├── _grains
├── host
├── location
├── _modules
├── README
└── role

Note that (today) there are no top files, as it's all being handled
externally.

I'd like to remove the database dependency and bring it into a scenario
where we can use top files.

Fortunately the minions are sanely named, so glob-matching works well. The
best-practices question I've got is "do I want to do this all in
/srv/salt/top.sls, or do I want to hand off to (for instance)
/srv/salt/intg/top.sls? Note that as of right now, there are no top.sls
files anywhere due to the (ab)use of this database.