I'm using pillar to populate a configuration file template with values via
file.managed in a state.

The problem I'm having is that the following pillar value is always
silently converted to a Python boolean value instead of text:

# pillar value
es_node_data: "true"

# state (partial)
/etc/elasticsearch/elasticsearch.yml:
   file.managed:
   [...]
   - node_data: {{ pillar['es_node_data'] }}
   - template: jinja

# template file (partial)
node.data: {{ node_data }}

# resulting line in file
# should be
# node.data: true

node.data: True

Somehow the value is being converted to a Python True value somewhere and
this is getting written to the file. This breaks this configuration file
(Elasticsearch) which is case sensitive and requires "true" (not "True").

Any ideas how to fix?

Ben