Ah, that makes sense.

My guess is that the master is busy trying to synchronize a bucket that
contains a few million objects containing many hundreds of TB of data.
Checking /var/cache/salt/master/s3cache I can see that the master has
download just a fraction of the bucket. Maybe that's why I'm getting the
"source file not found" error? The file I'm looking for does not yet exist
in the cache.

I'd be very surprised if it can check md5s for all of the objects in this
bucket in an hour, let alone 60 seconds. Has this module been tested with
large buckets?