I did not use it yet but :
https://github.com/simonmcc/kitchen-salt

Seems to be a good candiate

--
Frédéric Médery
Infrastructure Manager

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 7:02 PM, MxN wrote:

Hi,

I guess my question is what is the best practice for salt CI?

Details:
1. I want to have a 'trunk' environment to test states, i guess basic
yaml validation and/or running salt '*' state.hightstate -v test=True would
be sufficient, but I should not be able to run this state on my production.

2. I need 'production' salt environment. Once states are tested in trunk,
they can be promoted to 'production'

3. I need promotion mechanism between environments (i though git branches
could be good candidate)

The workflow should be something like this:

Engineer works on code in his branch -> push to remote git -> make a pull
request to merge into 'trunk' environment -> merged pull request triggers
jenkins to run the tests -> manual or automatic promotion to 'production'
environment

Does this make any sense at all? Is there some best practices for what I
want to achieve?

I have chef background and we used to have something like I described. But
now I started a new project and they are using salt.

Thanks