A dict lookup seems simple. Something like:

pkgmap = {"RedHat" : {
                     "vim": "vim-enhanced",
                     "foo": "bar",
                     ...etc},
                   "Solaris": {...}
                   "Ubuntu": {...}

                  }

{{ pkgmap[grains['os_family']['thing_I_want'] }}
   pkg.installed

-- JCL
On 16 Jul 2014, at 09:58, Vye wrote:

Have you looked at the Salt formula documentation? There's lots of
good information there. Using variations of the map.jinja example may
be what you're looking for.

http://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/topics/development/conventions/formulas.html#map-jinja