I think it depends on your use case. Things to consider:

1. Selecting all comments of a user via 1 association or N associations
(and 1 vs N queries).
2. Storing more data in the table (:commentable_type).
3. Maintaining and testing one model vs testing N models.

I think the biggest problem with separate comment models is that references
from other models are the fact that you need N times more associations to
reference a comment (e.g. user.post_comments, user.picture_comments, ...
instead of user.comments).