On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 8:05 AM, 'krfg' via Ruby on Rails: Talk wrote:

I am wondering if a painless transition from an IDE to the use of editor +
terminal is possible, especially for beginners like me that have started to
study with an online IDE.
Painless? Probably not. Worth while? Probably :-)
As I said, not considering the disadvantages (customizable paid service,
which means low resources if you are short of money), what strikes me most
of an online IDE is the possibility to login whenever you please into your
workspace and find it as you left it, without the need to reload your
environment (I am thinking for instance about version control with git and
the chance that I have to use a different computer): how far would I be from
these benefits if I choose to develop offline?
As already mentioned, the choice of an IDE/editor is very individual.
What suits your own workflow, now and as it evolves with experience?

Try *everything* - most commercial products have at least some free
trial period - and see what feels best.

Good luck!
http://about.me/hassanschroeder
twitter: @hassan