On Tuesday, April 29, 2014 12:58:17 PM UTC+1, Ruby-Forum.com User wrote:
Hi,

I have written some controller methods and testing it using Rspec. I am
just learning the Rspec by testing those methods. I need some hints on
how to do it. I have the below method in my QueueItemsController and I
need to test it. So how do I proceed. Please help. I read the tutorials
and other online forums but it seems to be confusing at some point.
In a nutshell you think of the possible case, what the outcome should be
and how do you want to test that the outcome was as expected.

For example, one of those cases could be

context 'the queue is empty' do
   before(:each) do
     #some setup so that @queue.pop will return nil
   end
   it 'should render a json message' # change this title to be something
descriptive
     get :next #add params if applicable
     ActiveSupport::JSON.parse(response.body).should == {"msg"=>"No more
Items in the Queue to
retrieve..!!"}
   end
end

Fred
def next
@receiver = @queue.pop()
unless @receiver.nil?
respond_with(@receiver)
else
render :json =>{"msg"=>"No more Items in the Queue to
retrieve..!!"}
end
end