I've tried checked the database instance with Putty by running "psql mydb"
in its terminal, but the message below was returned where xyz-abcde is the
ID I entered to authenticate to the Linux server:

psql: FATAL: role "xyz-abcde" does not exist

The other engineer told me the server runs Postgres but I'm not familiar
with database administration and advice on how to verify what database
instance you're connected to would be really appreciated.

Best regards,

Ead