On 22 November 2013 10:27, Frederick Cheung wrote:
On Friday, November 22, 2013 7:48:18 AM UTC, Colin Law wrote:
On 22 November 2013 05:15, Greg Willits wrote:

The problem I am seeing is that global_logger is being run only one
time. In all my previous versions (as a Rails 2 plugin, and a Rails 3
gem) that class method runs from scratch every page load and I count on
that behavior to do some things. In this new Rails 4 setup, it is
running the first time and that's it. The rest of my logger code
(writing messages from subsequent controllers) seems to work fine.
I am sure you are mistaken. That code will only be interpreted when
the class is loaded (which, by default, in development mode will be at
every action, but in production will only be when the server is
started). That is true in Rails 3 and Rails 4. Try putting a puts
statement above your global_logger line in your rails 3 app and you
will see that this is correct. Of course it is entirely possible that
the effects of calling global_logger may have changed, that depends on
what is in that method.
The development mode code reloader is much smarter as of rails 3.2 - it no
longer reloads everything on every request. It will only reload a file if
it thinks it needs to (although it almost certainly errs on the side of
caution). If you want something to run on every request, use a
before/after/around filter
Thanks for that clarification Fred, that explains why the OP is seeing
a change in development mode. I presume the situation in production
has not changed, so in that case in rails 3 global_logger would only
have been run on server start and that is still the case.

Colin