On 22 November 2013 05:15, Greg Willits wrote:
Ruby 2, Rails 4, bundler

I'm trying to package a bunch of my own reusable libs into gems. I did
this quite some time ago for Ruby 1.8, Rails 3. Now I'm updating
everything, and trying a new approach to the gem structure as well.
Something is hinky, and I've run out of ideas to figure it out.

At this point I have a fresh Rails 4 project, and working on my
first gem--it's a logger which I have used for eons.

In ApplicationController I have:

global_logger :chatty
end

The problem I am seeing is that global_logger is being run only one
time. In all my previous versions (as a Rails 2 plugin, and a Rails 3
gem) that class method runs from scratch every page load and I count on
that behavior to do some things. In this new Rails 4 setup, it is
running the first time and that's it. The rest of my logger code
(writing messages from subsequent controllers) seems to work fine.
I am sure you are mistaken. That code will only be interpreted when
the class is loaded (which, by default, in development mode will be at
every action, but in production will only be when the server is
started). That is true in Rails 3 and Rails 4. Try putting a puts
statement above your global_logger line in your rails 3 app and you
will see that this is correct. Of course it is entirely possible that
the effects of calling global_logger may have changed, that depends on
what is in that method.

Colin