I think the issue may be something else Colin. For example, this error
seems to crop up no matte what the command is:

user@Mint15-32 ~/ggrip/ggripv2 $ rake rails:update
rake aborted!
A key is required to write a cookie containing the session data. Use
config.action_controller.session = { :key => "_myapp_session", :secret =>
"some secret phrase" } in config/environment.rb
/home/user/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.8.6-p420/gems/actionpack-2.3.2/lib/action_controller/session/cookie_store.rb:163:in
`ensure_session_key'