Colin,

I was able to fix executable-hooks (which installing 1.8.6 under rvm was
causing) per Michal Papas this morning. I;ve tried to instaull
ruby-debug-base, etc. but:

gem install --remote ruby-debug
ERROR: Error installing ruby-debug:
     linecache requires Ruby version >= 1.8.7.

(Incidentally, under rvm, if I were to install 1.8.7, would I need to
reinstall all the gems I have installed under 1.8.6? Does rvm create
another new, empty ruby "slot" in that regard that moves with the version
selected?)

You are right, ruby-deub existed in my develoment.rb, which I commented
out, restarted, and:

  ruby script/server
./script/../config/boot.rb:39:in `run': uninitialized constant
Rails::Initializer (NameError)
     from ./script/../config/boot.rb:11:in `boot!'
     from ./script/../config/boot.rb:110
     from script/server:2:in `require'
     from script/server:2

Line 39 of boot.rb is:

Rails::Initializer.run(:set_load_path)

I'm really struggling with discerning what these error messages mean. It
takes a while to get into the Ruby idiom, even longer using an old app,
when you have been away from it for a few years (not by virtue of wanting
to be away from it though) Rvic