I think there's more wrong here than what the error message suggests. For
example:

user@Mint15-32 ~/ggrip/ggripv2 $ gem install rails -v 2.3.2
Successfully installed rails-2.3.2
1 gem installed
Installing ri documentation for rails-2.3.2...
Installing RDoc documentation for rails-2.3.2...

user@Mint15-32 ~/ggrip/ggripv2 $ rails -v
The program 'rails' can be found in the following packages:
  * rails
  * ruby-railties-3.2
Try: sudo apt-get install <selected package>

When I did rails - v, shouldn;t it have just returned 2.3.2 ?