IRB is not the command line. Use the command line to mkdir.

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 10:56 PM, Oliver David wrote:

I used the cmd prompt Windows and type IRB to start and get that error.
On Friday, June 21, 2013 10:49:39 AM UTC-4, Colin Law wrote:
On 21 June 2013 14:12, Oliver David wrote:
I'm new to Ruby. I installed Rails on Windows 8.

When I type mkdir in IRB, I'm getting this. I tried running the IRB as
administrator too, and still get the same result

irb(main):001:0> mkdir lesson2
NameError: undefined local variable or method `lesson2' for main:Object
from (irb):1
from C:/RailsInstaller/Ruby1.9.3/**bin/irb:12:in `<main>'
irb(main):002:0> cd lesson
Those commands (mkdir and cd) are not supposed to be run in irb (which
is for ruby code), but in a console window. Whether they work in
Windows anyway I do not know. I strongly advise not to use Windows
for developing RoR applications, it is much easier in Linux (Ubuntu
for example) or Mac.

Colin
https://groups.google.com/d/**msgid/rubyonrails-talk/**
eeef5f0a-4225-4f9b-9ac0-**30aafb351ff0%40googlegroups.**com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/eeef5f0a-4225-4f9b-9ac0-30aafb351ff0%40googlegroups.com>.