Thank you Walter - am going to give this is a chance and see how I
progress...
On Saturday, February 2, 2013 5:22:12 PM UTC-5, Walter Lee Davis wrote:

On Feb 2, 2013, at 11:58 AM, jatin...@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:

Hello Rails experts...
I have an interesting problem...I'm sure there are many solutions to
this but I can't seem to figure it out -
I have an existing set of HTML5/CSS3/jquery/javascript pages - no logic
- just the UI with content, etc. And I also have the schema for mysql
project. I want to build the entire framework using Ruby on Rails 3.2 - I
decided to go with Ruby on Rails rather than PHP or Node.js/Express.
However, I'd rather start something from existing than build from ground up
using new rails project. I do not want to waste effort that I've put in
building the HTML5 front-end - again has no logic because there's no
backend. I wanted to start with front-end to generate lot of ideas and
create proper UX. and then build the backend using Ruby on Rails. How
would I start with this?
So far, here's what I did.
I created a new rails 3.2 project - then created a folder called
"javascripts" under public directory and copied all my javascripts there.
But what about all my HTML files? Shall I just drop them in Views folder
and rename each one with .erb extension. And copy all CSS files in layouts
main directory?
And then how about the database? Or do I need to start fresh on creating
schema? Do you recommend MySQL or PostgresSQL? My web application would
be similar to ticketmaster website.
Any help would be appreciated...
Here's what I would do. Just as you started your "flat" prototype with
nothing and worked toward a UX you liked, start with nothing (none of your
designed pages) and let the Rails generators make the stubs they will. Once
these are generated, they never change, so you won't have to worry about
any of your fancy code being overwritten. Then start copying and pasting
fragments from one to the other. Owing to the way that Rails composes pages
out of fragments, with responsibility for rendering passing from the
nearest most responsible model object up and out to the main page template,
you will find that there are portions of your code that need to be in
different places. Read up on how the Rails View works -- Rails Guides are
great start, as well as (if you haven't built a few Rails apps already) the
Rails Tutorial at http://railstutorial.org.

Walter