Hi Jim,

Looks that you have encoding problems, check your current encoding

puts Encoding.default_external

To solve your problem it should be UTF-8. Because according to the docs
http://www.ruby-doc.org/core-1.9.3/Encoding.html#method-c-default_external

*"File <http://www.ruby-doc.org/core-1.9.3/File.html> data written to disk
will be transcoded to the default external encoding when written."*
*
*
Or you can use additional options :encoding in CSV.generate
(http://ruby-doc.org/stdlib-1.9.2/libdoc/csv/rdoc/CSV.html#method-c-generate)