I see what your saying.

I guess what I am asking then is, when developing your own gem, say I am
developing my gem on my Mac in:

/Users/me/projects/ruby/gem/some_gem_name/

So this means I have to somehow modify my load_path so that I can just
require things like:

require 'folder/file'

And then when I publish my gem and users use my gem, things will just work
since the gem is installed by default at a path that ruby will look in?

How then do gem developers modify their path to have this work?