I couldn't help but notice your message on the list.

You don't have to have a mentor necessarily in your area. I have been
teaching and mentoring Ruby since 2008, and doing it all from remote.

Now that Google Plus has hangouts that let you share a terminal easily, and
voice and video and full desktop sharing if it is needed, along with
DropBox, you can pair program and share code and do all of those things
that you can do at a desk.

There are other options besides those of course, one of which is screen on
Linux or Mac, and potentially on Windows as well.

So please don't let that stop you.

By the way, I am a mentor at RubyLearning.org you may have seen our blog at
http://rubylearning.com/blog and our study notes at http://rubylearning.com

Unfortunately, I don't know Rails. But Ruby we can help you with.
Warmest Regards,

Victor H. Goff III
維克多
My GPlus Profile <http://bit.ly/rqK71A>