I would second Paulie's suggestion that you use Devise. However if you are
still looking to do it yourself, I would suggest that you at least look at
the "confirmable" model in the Devise source. It will help you understand
the approach the Devise team took to solve this problem. You can find it
here:
https://github.com/plataformatec/devise/blob/master/lib/devise/models/confirmable.rb

This should help you see the big picture and then you can slim it down to
just the functionality you feel is necessary for your app. This is one of
the great advantages to open source!