Wow! Walter, thank you so much for taking the time to put all this
together for me.

I've looked it over, and although my JS skills are meager at best, I
believe I see the mechanism now. This is the piece of your code that
helped me see the bridge between JS and my model data, namely 'title' :
if (elm = evt.findElement('span.more')){
$('message').update(elm.readAttribute('title'));
$('overlay').show();
}else if(elm = evt.findElement('#overlay')){
elm.hide();
}

I don't think I would have got it without seeing this code segment tied
into my example. Thanks again. Very, very much appreciated.

Don