Peter Vandenabeele wrote in post #1045942:
On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 4:14 AM, Dave Castellano
wrote:
minisection_question GET

question!
There are 2 aspects:

1) resourceful routing

In e.g. the "Rails Routing from the Outside In" tutotial

http://guides.rubyonrails.org/routing.html#resource-routing-the-rails-default

have a second look at Chapter 2 on Resources. E.g. the table in section
2.2
explains that for the same path (/photos/:id) there are 3 different
routes,
with
different HTTP verbs GET, PUT, DELETE.

The trick is that there is not only the path (/photos/:id) that
differentiates the
route, but also the http VERB that is used. That is typically for a
single
member
(1 photo, not the collection):

GET for a non-state changing action (e.g. view the photo)
PUT to update a certain resource (e.g. update the description)
DELETE to destroy the resource (delete it)

2) the exact workings of the link_to method

Checkout this

http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActionView/Helpers/UrlHelper.html#method-i-link_to
in detail.

HTH,

Peter

--
*** Available for a new project ***

Peter Vandenabeele
http://twitter.com/peter_v
http://rails.vandenabeele.com
http://coderwall.com/peter_v
Thank you! Your referral to the API for the link_to led to this:
Note that if the user has JavaScript disabled, the request will fall
back to using GET. I was really on the wrong track! I recently upgraded
to Rails 3.2 and most of my Javascript stopped working. I was going to
try to figure out why after solving this current problem but I guess I
have to move on to the Javascript issues...

Thank you for your help!!

Dave