Most of my projects have been proof-of-concepts and/or MVP (minimal viable
product) efforts that were never intended to run with thousands of users,
so SQLite was fine for dev, test, AND production. Up through Rails 3.0
there was a Heroku stack (bamboo?) that allowed you to run SQLlite as
production database (though postgres was highly recommended.)

As soon as I converted one of my projects to Rails 3.1 I had to use the
latest Heroku stack, which outlaws SQLlite and forces postgress. I tried
using SQLite for dev and postgres for production, but ran into a bunch of
really weird issues (so Hassan you are lucky or I'm very unlucky, don't
know which.) Finally, following Heroku's strongly worded warnings, I
installed postgress on my Mac for dev and got it working with Ruby and
Rails (not a trivial straightforward process for an amateur like myself.)
I'm a couple of projects past all this, and postgres continues to
introduce challenges and complexity at every turn. Oh how I long for
SQLite in dev.

The original question in this thread indicated that the key goal was to get
an older project up into a production environment with the minimal amount
of effort/cost (performance appeared not to be a key concern.) Being able
to avoid the complexities introduced with postgress will best meet that key
requirement.