How can I design the app, so that any logged in user can edit/remove
his details only if he wishes to do so and can only view others'
records.
I am trying to say that users should be recognized by his unique
username/email id and as per that he should be assigned the writing
privileges on his records only.
CanCan is probably the most popular access control solution for Rails. It
can easily accomplish what you describe, and more. It works fine with
Devise. You can probably do what you want with just Devise, but I would
really recommend CanCan - and it is really not that difficult to implement.
Here is a good rails cast for it:
http://railscasts.com/episodes/192-authorization-with-cancan . There has
been a a lot of capability added since that was recorded, so be sure to
look at the latest release notes for CanCan on github.